Wednesday, December 31, 2008
1. Penny, Lowly, and Fiona
2. My cousin, Jimmy Border
4. Sleeping in on Monday-Friday
5. Chocolate Cake (at least for a while)
6. My 20's
7. Migraine headaches!
Things I said Hello! to in 2008...
1. Billy, my cute boyfriend! (and Rowdy)
2. a gaggle of Frogs
3. the Gym (not as bad as I thought it would be!)
4. the scale (worse than I thought it would be!)
5. Germany... a beautiful country
6. a gaggle of earrings
This was quite a year... Can't wait to see what the next one has in store...
Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!!!
Love to all,
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Actually I had four Occipital Nerve Blocks... this procedure consists of superficial injections of a local anesthetic with corticosteroids at the level of the superior nuchal line to develop a wall of anesthetic surrounding the posterior occipital artery. Occipital blocks offer immediate and sometimes long term palliative benefit to patients suffering from migraine, tension and/or cluster headaches! Blah blah blog... but, like I said, it is working! I got the injections yesterday and my migraine just washed away! Today the injection sites are sore but some Advil took care of that. I am feeling FANTABULOUS!
UPDATE: still a non-smoker, working out and eating better than ever!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
I am publicly vowing to lose weight and get in shape!
I thought I would share this with family and friends so there would be less chance of me giving up again!
As most of you know, I love food and relaxing! These things used to work for me… they work no longer.
At almost 5 weeks as a non-smoker and a couple of weeks going to the gym... today starts the eating Light & Right diet. (My own little diddy I've come up with.) It's pretty self explanatory.
So, with the promise of shame and embarrassment if I do not accomplish my goal... I will begin.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Which reminds me... this wouldn't happen if the guy had a Guide Dog.
Many of you know my parents work with the Guide Dog Foundation. They are "puppy walkers". Currently they are working with Laurel, their third puppy. Alley, the first pup, is now working in New York with a lovely lady named Grace. This pic is from our visit with Grace and her sister in May of 2008. Emerald, the second pup is back at home with Mom and Dad. And sweet sweet Laurel has been in training with my parents since September 2008.This picture was taken during Bring a Vet to School Day at the elementary school in Killeen which serves about 95% children of soldiers.
Anyway, thanks to Mom and Dad for the time, money, energy, etc. spent to help someone you have never met. Thank you for teaching me how to do the same.
Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Thursday, November 20, 2008
On a side note... I am on day two of my new workout regime 5 @ 5. AM that is... Monday through Friday that is...
I will keep you posted!
Friday, October 31, 2008
Potty humor has always been one of my favs!
It has been exactly 40 hours since my last cigarette! I am thinking about it all the time but haven't caved in! I also have a lot of sniffers around me these days. Smellin' me up and down to see if I have a hint of the stuff on me. So far so good!
Thank you for your prayers!
Love to all!
ps. mom says I am not even grumpy!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Shocked?!?!?! I know that those of you who didn't know are probably shocked to find that I have been a smoker (off and on) since I was 14 years old. Those of you who did know are probably shocked to see that I am telling the world... since I have been pretty embarrassed and secretive about the habit for many years.
I have been taking with my doctor for several months about Chantix. It is a nicotine inhibitor rather than a constant supply of nicotine like all of the other ways I have tried to quit. So last Thursday I started the medicine with the goal of quitting on the 30th (per the instructions on the box).
Tomorrow is the 30th! I am ready! I have many supporters! And I have the hope of a healthier and better smelling life!
I hope I haven't disappointed anyone. I feel like I am standing here naked. But, I also feel like quitting has to be something I do in public since I have kept the other so private. Please don't judge me. Pray for streingth and faith that I can do it!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
For those of you that don't know I went to Luanda, Angola a year ago this week.
I went with a group from my church FBC Garland for a non-profit group called His Nets.
Our goal there was to distribute mosquito nets (mosquiteros) to the people and throw in a little Jesus where we could. It turned out there were a lot of places to do both!
Color-synthesizing scanning electron microscope image by David Scharf.
I had the time of my life and just found out that I get to go back in June of 2009! I don't have much information on where in the country we will go or what we will be focusing on next time. But... I will let you know when I find out. I have been studying Portuguese since we got back in hopes that we would return.
I am soooooo exctied!
Saturday, October 4, 2008
all I can say is it is nice...
Billy had an idea to cook out and take the dogs to the lake...
Well, things didn't work out the way Billy wanted them too. Willy stepped on the BBQ sause he got specially from one of our favorite resturaunts. He also demolished the fish and by the time we got there BBQ sause was all over the back of Billy's new truck. Also... he (Billy) didn't quite know where we were going...
So we get there... the dogs are very happy. Rowdy is playing in the lake and Mister Willy is being a poonanny. All he wants to do is eat the ice out of the ice box. Anyway. Billy couldn't get the fire started (so he thought) and he was quite upset.
Well, after a few minutes of pouting... we looked to the left and there was a fire in the grill!!! The lake ... our best friends... dinner and a little wine... and the sunset on the lake...
I was in heaven!
Here are a few pictures from the evening...
Monday, September 29, 2008
This past weekend I drug Billy to my very first Reptile Expo! I wanted to see what kind of folks show up at these things. Well, there were a lot of young pimple faced boys with their allowance (from SEVERAL months) stuffed in their pockets. We also saw the occasional tattooed and pierced reptile/herp. fan. And of coarse there were a few MAD science teachers in the group. This is when I realized I should have been a middle school science teacher and my animal and bug "love" wouldn't be frowned upon. It could be all in the name of science! Oh well... I am used to being frowned upon... or at least looked at funny.
I guess I should just get down to the point.
I got two more frogs.
Two of the dendrobate imitator "Tarapoto". They are also called thumbnails. At adulthood they are less than half an inch long. Itty bitty! And the coloring on these really little beauties is like a rainbow!
So... now I am proud to introduce Rainy and Beau!!!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
1. Abby quoted me as saying "I just don't think I am that quirky..." Not true! I just was having a hard time determining between the normal and the quirky.
2. When my snake died (after 20 years of pet hood) my boyfriend bought me a Red Eyed Tree Frog. While at the pet store buying crickets for Fiona I saw and fell in love with Frank the Tank. He is a Poison Dart Frog (although they are not poisonous in captivity). Fiona didn't make it and Frank was lonely so I ordered him three friends from Ohio (he is less than half an inch long and was all alone in a 45 gallon tank!) These little buggers are so fun! So... I made a little home for a couple of PDF's on my desk at my office. I think this is all reasonable!
3. Yes. I do order three drinks every time I am at Sonic. I get a Diet Coke for the caffeine. A Diet Sprite for the flavor. And... a water for sustenance. Totally makes sense to me.
4. I used to have a problem with opening a gift-wrapped box. I was always taught not to rip paper. In second grade I got in big trouble when I ripped my school paper out of my teachers hands! And some of the paper is so pretty! I did have a problem with keeping some of the paper because I didn't feel right about throwing it away. But... I have rid myself of all that mess since the sale of my house. (I think... there are a couple of boxes I haven't tried to conquer yet.)
5. I totally admit to keeping my chewed up gum on note cards with the details of the day on it. It was sorta like my diary.
6. I am an animal lover! Okay? I was driving (with Penny the cat in tow) to visit my sister in College Station once. It was late... there was a baby cow in the road in the middle of nowhere. I called 911 but they wanted to know where I was. I had no idea. So, in order to save the baby and maybe a life or two I got out of the car and ran towards the cow till it trotted off the road and then I went to the neighbors houses to see if they were missing a cow. Nobody was home. I still wonder if she ever made it home...
7. I don't always steal the rocks. Sometimes I will throw a quarter in the fountain nearby. Or my main man, Billy, will bring one home to me! And, now they serve as a rock garden for the ceramic frog Billy got me for my doorstep. So cute!
8. I like real honey with with my Chick-fil-a nuggets. I only need 4 though. And by the way... I only like catsup in packets. I hate cold catsup!
9. And now I will through my own favorite quirk... I have a plethera of costume and costume like clothing. I love thrift stores and I love fun old stuff. I like wigs and funny hats. I am also known to have more make-up than a make-up company. Though I rarly wear any.
10. Last but not least... I think it is funny to say "my butt" before or after almost anything. I know... I'm 30. But, I think "my butt is funny". See! It works!
Now... how is that for quirky?
You are welcome to add any you have seen or heard. I am proud to be a little different!
Well... as most of you well know... when I like something I really like it! So, after the passing of my many pets I developed an affection for the fabulous Poison Dart Frog (which are NOT poisonus in captivity). Anyway, the only way to keep these little beauties is in a vivarium.
A vivarium (Latin, literally for "place of life;" plural: vivaria or vivariums) is an area, usually enclosed, for keeping and raising animals or plants for observation or research.
My first vivarium is above. It includes a water feature (waterfall and pond) and several hiding places for my tiny friends.
Now to introduce you to my little friends...
My first PDF was Frank "The Tank". He has been very happy since his move to the new place with his new buddies.
Chubs looks very similar but is camera shy...
Fancy is of the species d. azureus. Also called Blue Dart Frog. She loves the waterfall!
Fancy's friend, Jeramiah, is also very camera shy...
Here is my office vivarium! And my two lovely D. auratus "bronze".
And now meet Maude... she is a beautiful turquoise color with a more oval bronze spot on her back. They love to climb the walls and hide in their cocohut!
Monday, August 11, 2008
Last week my snake (since 6th grade) passed of old age... almost 20 years. They are only supposed to live 12 years in captivity. Lowly or Lolita, as I liked to call her after we found out she was a girl, was a cold blooded animal with a warm heart. Almost everyone who met her loved her! And she ran off a few of the "bad" guys too!
What a lovely lady!
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
britches-- sounds crusty
crusty-- self explanatory
hole-- plus it just looks weird
sack-- think about it
pants-- especially my mom's (just kidding nice lady)
heinie, buttocks and last but definitly NOT least... fanny
Now it is your turn.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
My sister, Abby (and Kevin), are having a baby!!! So began my sister's first blog... and so began mine.
Well, time has gotten away from me today. I must depart. Can't wait to see you next time! This is going to be fun!